Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Clothing

Clothing...
I am trying to figure out when the clothing rule takes effect. At what age do children need to be wearing shirt, at what age should they stop running around naked, and at what age should they be following the village rules for dress.
In most villages children are rarely wearing diapers. This makes sense to me as diapers are costly and will just be throw out usually in the backyard. The thing thaty bothers me about this, is the babies do not usually have anything covering their bums, so they will just randomly pee on the floor....which reminds me of a dog like behavior. Once in Manunu my two year old nephew was wearing pants....however, the pants were covered with so many holes that the urine was quick to go straight onto the floor. It does not seem to matter where children urine as an old cloth can just wipe it off.
Children of ages up until about thirteen are often walking around without shirts on...boys and girls. Sometimes it is on thir own property, but often it is not. When should children be putting on their clothes?
The village rules are that women are to be wearing shirts that cover their shoulders and e'a's or skirts on their bottom. You will be find if you are caught wearing different gear by the Woman's Committee you will be fined tala. However, when does this rule take effect. Is it when you finish Primary School? Because sometimes I have seem children aged eleven walking around in shorter skirts and tank tops. How is this FaSamoan?
It is confusing when Samoan rules take place and when they are not to be followed..
For those of you that are frustrated with my spelling, I am sorry as I am in a rush to type this as there is a line for the computer...

No comments:

Post a Comment