Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

prizegiving

We left Apia early in the morning to explore the wonders of Savaii. A few people woke up to see the 7 of us off. (Since they were not going as far they were staying back to await their new families to come and get them.)
When we reached Savai’i our new families were there waiting for us to arrive with pickup trucks to carry all of our goodies. My new tama and my uncle (visiting from New Zealand because of a funeral) were there. We headed straight home. I felt like a dog with my head out the window staring at the amazing beauty of my new home. About an hour later we reached home and we quickly put my belongings inside my room, then headed straight into the car again.
We were off to Gagaemalie Primary School to take part in their prize giving. Prize giving is an event that takes place the last school day of the year where children who are at the top of their class are rewarded prizes. The prizes are things for the family, like dishes or drinking glasses. Also people are picked to siva to raise money for the school.
We were extremely late (as expected from traveling such a far distance). When we arrived I said a quick Malo lava to the school committee members that I passed outside the school. I was then seated in the front facing everyone. I was invited to siva and my new uso, Lynn, put a candy ulu (lei) around my neck. After the dance the vice principal got on the microphone and told everyone that I was the winner of the dance competition and was rewarded more sweets. He also announced me by my name with his last name as if we were married. (You have to love the quirky Samoan humor.)
The pastor said a few words to welcome me into the community. He reminded me that even though there are 3 nu’u that make up this school, every door in the community is open to me as I am now a part of everyone’s family.
The prize giving began for the 8th year. Since it is their final year at the school they are all rewarded prizes and if you are top student, you receive more. When the students come up to get their prize the put the candy necklace around those who have helped them out and then a huge procession of people come up to flower them with the candy ulu. It was a beautiful sight to see.
They were then called up to dance and money was raised. Then out of nowhere (at least to me) they called me up to siva by myself. I was extremely tired and know that I did not do the Samoan dances their justice.
After the events were over the teachers gathered together with the school committee members for a delicious and large lunch.
It was an interesting day and a great way to start off my life of living in Savai’i.

No comments:

Post a Comment