Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Karl Milone

Karl Milone
A few weeks ago I visited Max in his village to say good bye and give him something to mail in the States. (Thanks Max!) and I stayed a little too late (I had an excuse, it was pancake Sunday) as it was about to get dark on my walk home. We began walking together as we lived in the same direction. When all of a sudden someone began to talk to us in perfect English as we were asked where we were from and what we were doing in Samoa.
He explained that he was from Louisiana (I forgot the city, but I remember him saying it was right by Monroe, the birthplace of Delta airlines.) He came to bring a shipment of supplies for the tsunami victims and was also visiting his family in Savai’i.
He then asked if we knew much about the NBA, we said a little. He said the he was a trainer for one of the players in it and then asked if we knew Karl Milone. He talked to us a little about Karl and how good a friend he is and that’s why Karl decided to donate so much to Samoa after the tsunami.
Max made it to his house but he continued to walk me home as it is not common for girls to walk by themselves (nor do I really like to). We chatted about Utah as that is where he met Karl after attending the University of Utah. Realizing we went to schools in the same conference (shout out to the Mountain West Conference…..go Pokes!) we talked about the University of Utah and their rivalry with Brigham Young University.
It was nice to have someone to talk to about America, someone especially that knew life that I am familiar with. It was especially great to have someone that knew of the University of Wyoming (most people in America seem to not be sure about that one…although I am not sure why, since it has been a state for quite some time now…) He walked me the thirty minutes to my house and gave me an amazing conversation.
About two weeks later I received a text message from another volunteer that also met him and to tell me “Sup?”
It is such a small world seeing how everything is connected and everyone seems to be connected to each other in some way. It is like the five degrees of separation, even out here it seems to be relevant.
Anyway, I forgot your name Karl Milone’s trainer, but thank you for your support and for making both my day and Matt’s a little brighter by talking with us. Next time you come to Samoa, if you want to bring your friend Karl Milone, you are more than welcome to!

No comments:

Post a Comment