Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Biking on the South Side



Bike trip number 3
Being the end of January it had been awhile since my last biking trip and I was beginning to feel like the laziest sloth ever. My family was out of town for a few days so it was just me and my two brothers. Although my two brothers treat me great and are extremely nice to me, I decided that a break from them would be needed.
For Christmas my parents (the original and awesome ones in America) sent me a bike rack to make my travels easier since I seem to have the need to go everywhere my bike takes me. It looked amazing, however I did not have the tools or the knowhow to put it together. The directions really did not help as they did not explain what piece was called what. I decided to play the girl card and ask others for their assistance. Thankfully it worked with Dan!
So on a Saturday morning I woke up early to ride to him. I was hoping that it would take around two hours. However I had nothing to base this on. I looked at the map and did not even measure the distance. I told Dan I would be there around 8 so I left my house at 5:45. I learned quickly that the villages when you head towards Salelologa are completely spread out! I felt like for some villages I would be biking for a half an hour and still be in the same village. When 8:00 came I had no clue where I was or how much longer it would take to get there. I called Dan to apologize for not being there yet and he told me that by the name of the village I had given him that I was almost there. He gave me directions to his school compound and by 8:20 I had reached it.
We took my bike inside and Dan went to work with putting the rack on bike. Apparently you needed to take the wheel off to actually fix it. After working for awhile I told him about the problems I was having with my gears and he told me that Paul was here to save the day and would probably be able to help me. Paul studied my bike for a long time and tried many different things and after awhile came to the conclusion that they gave me a bike chain that was too big for my bike. I asked if I could leave my bike there so he could see if there was anything he could do and he agreed.
I accompanied the boys to Salelologa and got to learn about Dan’s adventures biking around the island. So far only the guy Peace Corps have tried it and I want to be one of the first girls to do it. I think I can, it just means I have to keep up with my training.
In Salelologa we met with some of the other volunteers that were getting their market shopping done and headed to Lucia’s for some grub. It was my first time there but now I know why people seem to love going there. There is an awesome dock where you can jump off into the water. I saw Elisa do a flip off the edge and it made me wish that I kept up with diving when I was little.
It was an amazing day to relax and unwind to get a clear head for the start of school next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment