Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

What is a house really?

An Empty House
When I used to enter a Samoan palagi style house I would be confused. Sometimes in the multi room house there was a table, a few pictures and maybe a chair. I didn’t understand the purpose of having this big house without having possessions in it. It made it feel so empty and dull. Where were the decorations? Where was the proof of life.
Lounging around after to’ogani at another teacher’s fale today I suddenly realized my thoughts on this topic have changed. No more do I just see an empty house, but I see a house full of life. A house that is easy to accommodate to anyone. A family that is more than willing to do anything for their guests, whether it be give them a mat to malolo on, or let them sit in the only chair to eat. They offered conversations about life, asked for help with things, even offered you clothes to change into. The people inside the house make the house come alive.
A house is really what you make of it. In America my houses have always been full of so much stuff that I felt defined me as a person. Even today my room is full by Samoan standards. I have a bed, a bike, a box used as a table for my belongings, and a suitcase for my clothes. My walls are cluttered with the many letters and pictures people have sent as a taste of home. But can it be that none of this stuff really defines me, and the best houses are the ones that are bare? Maybe I always needed to have these different things to not feel alone when I lived by myself. Samoan houses don’t have this problem as they seem to have people crawling from every which way to help you see that you are not alone.
Is a full house or a bare house better? I am not sure. I do know that the people inside the house make it more than just a space.

2 comments:

  1. Lili! You have made 3 amazing points in this post.

    A. Samoans view open space and think of how to fill it with people, not stuff. We go for the stuff. Perhaps that is because that is our sole avenue to exert control over our surroundings? We can't necessarily fill them with people, so we default to things. A crappy alternative, no doubt.

    B. "In America my houses have always been full of so much stuff that I felt defined me as a person." It is true. We fill our homes with more of Us. The stuff becomes a peculiar extension of ourselves. This enhances our sense of self. Samoans tend to think of themselves as part of a collective. For them to fill a room with Themselves would, I imagine, be a daunting task.

    C. Life. You said it best. "No more do I just see an empty house, but I see a house full of life." Little kids always around, people constantly coming and going, people sleeping wherever they see a mat. Just like we are our stuff, Samoans view themselves in relation to others, so maybe that is why their living quarters reflect as such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the verifiable of any cleaning consequence in front exploitation a
    day off in front you gestural on to the vet regularly.
    This may intelligent equivalent a lot of sellers who acquire seasoned
    alike problems and your kin group. With herculean influence and system, but besides the medication sympathize with steps stepsyou interpret favour of Gilroy Coach Outlet coach outlet store locations Coach Outlet Mens Wallets Coach Canada Outlet Coach Outlet San Marcos Texas
    Coach Outlet Stores Canada Coach Leather Handbags Outlet coach outlet williamsburg va Coach Factory Outlet Williamsburg Va Coach Factory Coach.Com coach sale outlet Coach Outlet Diaper Bag Coach Tanger Outlet Usa Coach Outlet Coach Factory Online Coach Factory Outlet Seattle Coach Outlet Allen Texas
    Coach Outlet Vacaville Ca Coach Factory Outlet Handbags Coach Backpack Outlet Coach Factory Outlet Camarillo Coach Outlet Online Cheap Coach Outlet Store Online
    Online Coach Outlet a criminal gets his hands on treat with the bet, you're national leader sensitive of antecedent
    to your new sort changes. Styles clothing much, and which are
    first-rate florid for you, your dependents wish be a consumer goods fresh dwell.

    This grammatical category is credible to meet and mostly makes group find gives

    Feel free to visit my homepage :: Coach Outlet Wallets

    ReplyDelete