Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Family

Family
When I came to Samoa I was a scared little girl, but after two months I was Samoan (well much closer to Samoan than I even thought possible). I was used to driving places, living on my own, cooking for myself, piped water always on, and not having a curfew among other things. I had a great family to help me through the transition.
My Manunu family was large but always loving. I had 3 younger brothers that would bend over backwards for me. I helped them with their homework, while they climbed trees to give me delicious coconuts to drink. I wanted to swim, so they walked with me to the river or waterfall to take a break from school. I wanted to go to a friends’ house to study, and they made sure to walk me there and pick me up. They also took me to the plantation so I could feel like a strong woman carrying coconuts home.
My four sisters were always there for me. We loved spending time together playing basketball, going for walks, and even just enjoying a game of uno. They learned what foods I dislike and like and were amazing enough to make them for me.
My cousin, and 2 nieces and nephew were also living with us. The three little ones were always entertaining as they helped teach me Samoan. (After a short while I got better than the two year old at Samoan!) My cousin was always trying to find me a pe’u so that a marriage would keep me living in Samoa forever.
My parents were also very loving. They let me help out around the house and feel like an equal.
Many days I felt like I was going crazy living with so many people. It took a long time to get used to the idea. Leaving “home” made me miss them more and more.
Today I saw my little brother Peni on the bus. He lives on the other island, which made it quite surprising when I saw him as I passed on my bicycle. I called my family and they told me the village he is in. I am hoping to ride my bike around there and see if I can find him. Peni is such a good boy, and an amazing rugby player. It would be great to catch up and see how kolisi is going for him.
II also made plans with my family for a visit. They put me on speakerphone and it was great to hear all of their voices in the background. Next weekend I will spend with them and I am really looking forward to it.
This family taught me so much and made me comfortable with the culture here. I owe them so much and am looking forward to seeing their smiling faces again. I don’t know what I would have done without them. Samoa would definitely not have been the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment