Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Day

A fun day
I’m sitting on my bed enjoying the nice pitter patter of the rain outside. I had such a fun day that I am looking forward to a nice night’s sleep.
Today I woke up and went to school. I rode my bike, and even though I was wearing my pulatasi I did not fall. Yay! (I am still having pain from the accident.) I went over the end of term exam with my year 7 kids then headed to Elisa’s village for their English Day.
I showed up about halfway through the performance. I was happy I was in time for the skit. It was pretty amazing. The kids were singing and dancing to songs about jungle animals. Elisa made cute masks for all of them to wear. I cracked up laughing hearing the songs from the Lion King sung with a Samoan adjustment. It was the best musical I think I’ve seen in a long time.
In the middle of the performance, there was a falavelave. A woman in the audience fainted. People crowded around her to fan her and try to nudge her awake. They then carried her to a vehicle to be taken to the hospital. It was really scary, but I heard she is okay.
After the performance in true Samoan fashion we were all severed a lot of food. (I was more excited about drinking the fresh coconuts.) I was ready to leave, when I realized that my shoes were gone. I left them by the door in true Samoan fashion, and they disappeared. A people offered me their shoes to walk to Elisa’s house.
We got changed and went to the ocean to go swimming. It was very peaceful and enjoyable. We had all of Elisa’s neighbors and family come with us and they were fun to be with. The waves were perfect, however soon after we got there, the waves were heading closer to the sand, and we noticed that Elisa’s shoes had disappeared. We ended up having an adventure to find them.
After swimming, we went on a hike towards the mountains. We had people greeting us from every house we passed by. We saw people cutting down cocoa, others climbing trees, and plenty of cows on the road. A little girl jumped from the bushes and gave us each a niu to drink. We sat on the ground and shared some of our experiences as we drank and ate our fresh coconuts.
As we were heading back, the kid came back with a bag full of niu. It was so thoughtful. I love how nice everyone is around here. I cannot imagine a life where people don’t greet you everywhere you go. People from villages all over know your name and your back story. The best part is, people are so welcoming to their community and offer you such nice gestures all the time.
After our adventure I biked home, and stopped at the shop for a new pair of shoes. (I hate biking barefoot.)
From swimming in the ocean, and walking through the wooded areas, I was pretty dirty (and covered in sand). I did what any good Samoan would do. I used this as an opportunity to wash my clothes. (Water splashed everywhere when you wash from a bucket.)
I had such a fulfilling day, just like every other day I have had here.
The rain is still coming down, and I know this means I will have a nice peaceful sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment