Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Girl Scout Cookies

Girl Scout Cookies
In America I think most people can agree that one of the best times of the year is Girl Scout cookie time. Being a former girl scout I have fond memories of going around to all of my neighbors and teachers trying to get them to buy a little box of deliciousness.
Ice cream companies made the cookie experience even better by selling the two of them together to make the most delicious combination.
As an adult I am still fond of these cookies. A few years ago while visiting TJ and others in Fairbanks, we went to a hockey game. In the concession stands were the Girl Scouts and so we enjoyed an amazing hockey game while munching on Thin Mints. I love my neighbors who do the door to door sales like I used to when I was little, but it is much more convenient now as the troops set up their own shop outside the store. I love how accessible these cookies are in America.
When I received a package from my sister containing two boxes of cookies it made my day complete. One of the boxes was my favorite, Thin Mints, and the other was Samoans. My sister thought it was funny to eat a Samoan while being in Samoa. (I agree it was funny and cute.)
Samoans as cookies are not my favorite and are terribly hard to explain to Samoans here. I was questioned about why the Samoans make these cookies in America, but they don’t make them here. If people who weren’t Samoan were able to make them, as well as many other questions.
I shared the box with my family and they were so excited about them. (Can you blame them…they are Girl Scout Cookies.) My little sister was hysterical to watch as she ate her cookies. She decided that if the cookies were called Samoans, each cookie in the box was Samoa, so half was Upolu and half was Savaii. She would take a little nibble and announce each village she had just eaten. (She is a very clever girl.) It made me crack up as she named off the different places on both island.
This just proves that the Girl Scouts of America are quite capable of putting smiles on people’s faces around the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment