Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Village Rules

Village Rules
I understand where certain village rules come from to make sure the village is safe and somewhat clean. There are many that I don’t agree with but accept since I am living in another country with completely different customs, but a few rule was passed recently that really has me questioning if the Matai’s are really looking for the benefit of our community.
I know of some of the village rules. Not all of them, but I haven’t broken the ones I do not know of, so I guess I am okay. Some of the rules to follow otherwise fines will be imposed are:
No dying hair
boys must keep their hair short
Girls after they enter kolisi must wear I’e or skirts and can not wear tank tops
you must go to church every week
you must pick up your trash daily (leaves) at your home and on the road by your plantation
if the village calls upon men to do work, they must go (such as cutting grass, or fixing pipes)
This past week I learned about a new rule that upsets me. No games. That means no volleyball, rugby, or basketball. This means they are supporting the lack of exercise in the village. I knew the game days previously to only one day a week to encourage schooling, but this is ridiculous. People need to get rid of their energy in more ways than climbing trees and cleaning.
I am not only worried about my village’s health but mine as well. I need the games. I guess I will just make use of the other villages nearby for games until this rule is changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment