Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

birthday


My birthday weekend.
I should have known…Rachel is jinxed when it comes to diving. If you want to plan a dive trip, be sure to not include her….Not because Rachel isn’t totally amazing, because she is. It is just that the diving gods must be against her or something. She has been trying to get her diving certification for many years and something has always come up. This year we have had a hurricane scare and a tsunami scare the two times she was supposed to dive.
I thought it was about time for her luck to change so we planned a dive trip for my birthday weekend. However, strong winds prevented the dive trip as the shop was worried about their boat.
That didn’t bug us because we still had our plans for dinner, an awesome grilled cheese night. The night did not fail us as it was just as delicious as we were hoping.
Rachel gave me a watermelon for a gift....which was amazing! We have been trying to figure out for the past few months how we can grow watermelons on trees. We planted the seeds, so hopefully they will sprout soon!
The night was full of food singing, and merriment. It was such a good night.
The next day we hopped on the bus and headed towards Salelologa to continue our merriment. We headed to the Peace Corps office and was completely disappointed because the door was locked and we could not get in.
Ali was with me and we took turns punching the code in the door. We heard the sound of the click, however with it still not unlocking, it got us nervous that someone played a nasty trick on us and locked the office with a key that we do not possess. We also tried the trick of in case someone was inside ensureing them that we would not tell the police of their wrongdoings, if a dead body was inside. Nothing was working.
We really wanted to have our central place where we can place our items from the market and just enjoy the luxury of air conditioning for a little bit. Across the street from our office is the Digicel store and we decided to head there to learn about their new promotions.
They just installed two computers and if you buy a phone card you are able to use them. Since there is talk about them closing our beloved office, at least there is a place where they play fun dancing music, have amazing air conditioning, and lets us use their internet.
The people in the Digicel store are so amazing that if you request a different song, they actually will assist you. Needless to say I will be gladly returning to our new office because it is full of good times!
After our fun in the store/new office we went swimming and had a jolly good time. I was rocking my swim cap to avoid any more ear infections. We were all diving off a dock into the water splashing every which way.
On Sunday, I went to a river and gave swim lessons to a group of children. It was a lot of fun and made me miss being in the water as much as I used to be!
Since my birthday is midweek, I am sure the birthday fun is sure to continue and I am looking forward to it, especially since so far it is one of the best birthday celebrations.

1 comment:

  1. I don't appreciate being called a jinx, even if it is true!!

    ReplyDelete