Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

In the Dark

Stuck in the dark
Today was a good day. After church I relaxed in my room, caught up on some z’s, read and had a great time malolo-ing. The water has been out since yesterday morning so I did not want to do anything that required physical activity with it being so hot today, to avoid smelling horribly and to be in search of a bucket to shower outside with the water tank.
In the evening, I realized I should emerge from my room so I am can get some school work done. I turned on the water boiler to make some tea and began writing out my story for the school week.
I went back inside to check the hot water boiler and all of a sudden I heard a cry from a surge protector and all the lights went out. Hoping that it is a short power outage I went back to work writing my story until it was too dark that the little light from my phone was of no use to me.
My family came home from spending their time walking down the street and found candles to light up our house, which was nice since it was completely dark. Not using my flashlight in awhile had made the batteries go dead so I was not being helpful in this department. Through the candlelight we made our dinner, but not in the kitchen as we learned there is a gas leak there.
The village is amazing as walking around all you see is a few candles, it is so peaceful and beautiful.
So here I sit in my dark bedroom listening to the waves of the Pacific Ocean crash. There is no water, no power, and a gas leak.
I will have to wake up early to finish my work, although my sister and a friend offered to hold candles over my piece of cardboard so I could finish the story, I told them “aua le pepoli” tomorrow is another day and nothing is that important.
Hopefully tomorrow there will be water, and power; but no matter what I am still happy to be in this situation as I have a loving family both in America and in Samoa that are always looking for my best interest and I love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment