Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Flag Day


Flag Day
Growing up in the States, we enjoyed our Flag Day in the elementary school classrooms with a little assembly, but it never amounted to much. Sure we showed our pride in our country in little ways on that day, but it never came close to comparing to the fourth of July or other American holidays.
Apparently in American Samoa it is the complete opposite! My Samoan tama was hired to help choreograph the celebration there. He will be there for around a month to prepare for the festival.
It is amazing that an American territory put so much into this holiday and show so much American pride. I would have never pictured that. This might have been because I never had any idea how American territories viewed being a part of America. You always hear rumors that the US territories would prefer to be on their own.
But hearing how big this celebration is, makes me think otherwise. Everyone who has went has told me how spectacular of an event it is.
I hope that I can make it someday to see this so I can tell everyone how I have been to a real Flag Day celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment