Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

baby Cows

Baby Cows

Sunshine made my transition to village life more fun, as I had my own cow dog. I call her a cow dog because she had many of the same personality traits as a dog did.  Whenever I was feeling lonely I would go outside to read a book, and Sunshine would come and rest her head in my lap while I pet her. 

Sunshine loved people and refused to go to the plantation where the other cows were.  Every time she would be brought uta, she would find her way to escape and come back home.  (Finally when she was about a year and a half old she ended up staying in the plantation.)

When I was over at a friend’s house a few weeks ago, and offered a trip to go see their baby cow, Laina, I jumped at the opportunity.  Unlike Sunshine, whom I bottle fed, Laina drinks and eats niu (fresh young coconuts).  It was nice, that after I had a nice drink myself, I was able to share it with him. 

Last week I received a text informing me about Laina’s death.  After a young cow dies, they burn the body.  A few of us volunteers were wondering why they don’t just eat the meat, and we have come up with the conclusion that it might be taboo.

Now the question of the day is, what actually happens with the road kill?  Are the rats, chickens, pigs and dogs also burned?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment