Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Election Day Holiday-The Election

Election Day Holiday-The Election

While I was in the vehicle heading to Manono Uta, we passed by one of the polling booths.  It was amazing to see, as it is so different than America.

The voting booths is someone’s house, decorated with streamers and anything else it can find in the inside.  (At least the one I saw was…)Outside the door is a policeman, and in most villages the line extends 20-30 people outside.  It was really interesting. 

Elections remind me of a school election, as you just tick the box of the candidate (there is a picture to go along with their names in case you get confused).  You then fold the piece of paper and place it in the box.  They then mark your thumb to prevent you from voting again.

When I walked past the voting booth in Manono Tai, I asked if I could go inside, and was told it was not allowed, so I don’t have much more to share about it, except by word of mouth (which sometimes gets lost through translation between the languages). 

I asked someone and was told that the results of the election should be available next week…(This was written several days ago. They had an ava ceremony to welcome the winners into Parliament the day after election day, however, they announced the winners the following Monday.)

Pictures are of the voting booths, Appolima Island and Manono Island.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment