Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami Alert

Tsunami Alert

Last night when I woke up to go to the bathroom, I saw BBC was on TV, and surprisingly, my mom was watching it at that late hour.  It was so sad what I saw.

Japan was just rocked by an 8.9 earthquake, and a tsunami followed.  The earthquake was so gigantic, that is had such a disastrous effects.  They were able to have both the earthquake and tsunami on video, so it was shocking what I was able to see.  The waves were so big, that even though I live uphill, it made me nervous. 

They put all of the Pacific on a tsunami warning and said that the tsunami is bigger than some of the Pacific islands. 

I haven’t heard anything yet, but I left my telephone in Salelologa last weekend, so I am missing the many security updates that the Peace Corps office usually sends. 

This past year I have gotten to know many Japanese people from their volunteer organization, JICA, which is similar to Peace Corps.  They are some of the nicest people in the world, and I really hope their families are safe. 

Last night, I had a nightmare about a tsunami coming here, and it was terrible.

Last month, our neighbor New Zealand experienced a colossal earthquake and with Samoa having so many ties to New Zealand, the sadness set in here.  Japan is also one of our close neighbors, so I know Samoa will feel their pain as well.

My thoughts go out to the people in Japan.  I hope all of the missing people are found safe and sound. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment