Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

Food

Food

Because of living with a family, I eat my meals with them and have little control over my diet.  This causes me to crave different ridiculous foods that may seem abnormal. 

When I woke up for the bus for Apia, I began to crave a peanut butter sandwich.  I decided as soon as I arrived in Apia, that is what I would have.  After being awake for several hours en-route to Apia, I began to think of hot dog vendors.  I wished there was one on our ferry.  Instead, the little shop sold noodles.  It was 6 in the morning and a hot dog was all I could think about.

I arrived at the Peace Corps office, craving both items that were on my mind all morning.  I went to the shop, and bought all the ingredients.  I laid across the table 2 slices of fresh bread full of peanut butter (made in the USA) and cooked hot dogs in boiled water.  The meal tasted phenomenal at 9 in the morning.  It was quite frankly the best breakfast I have had in a long time. 

For lunch, I was going to be at the McDonalds party-and not being one to give up the chance for free food, I went off my ban on McDonalds food (I had heard horror stories about people getting food poisoning there.).   I was curious about the Samoan burger that I had seen advertized in the newspaper and in posters throughout the restaurant, so I ordered it.  I don’t know if my taste buds have changed, or I just craved a burger, but my meal there was fantastic! 

A Samoan burger is an Aussie burger (has an egg on it) but made in a McDonalds in Samoa.  (They also have local food on there and have taro pie-a twist on the normal apple pie.)

For dinner, I went to a birthday party which was catered.  There was a seafood soup, fish, chicken and other meats cooked in a delicious fashion and was amazing.

Today was by far the best eating that I have had in awhile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment