Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

Chile Earthquake

The earthquake in Chile and Tsunami watch
I learned about the earthquake after midnight after the third text our safety and security officer sent finally woke me up. Around two he was making his rounds calling everyone to inform that they should head to higher grounds by seven in the morning. Living uphill, I wasn’t too worried because I really had no need to evacuate. Still I was anxiously nervous to see what would come out of this. I figured it wasn’t worth waking my family to warn them as we would not need to evacuate. I was in a half sleep slumber the rest of the night, not fully awake and not fully asleep. At four someone called my Samoan parent to let them know about it. So they were awake and loud as they were investigating for answers. I don’t think any of us went back to sleep after that. After I finally left my room around 7 in the morning, the television was on and thankfully Saturday mornings are brought to you by BBC so we were informed of some of the news. Barak Obama was on warning people in Hawaii to evacuate the coasts and I am pretty sure he also made his shout out of Guam and American Samoa to do the same.
In the morning I was still planning on going to my different church activities, since it was Saturday. I headed to the Momona church at 8 o’clock for their event. The Momona church is as close as a house can be to the sea and I was looking forward to having a view of if the tsunami happened while I would still be high enough uphill and safe. However, when I got to the church it was completely deserted.
I headed home to get ready for our own church service. It was more uphill than we lived so I know that our safety and security officer would be proud of my decision! On the way to church a noticed a few people evacuating our village. Now this may seem like a smart idea, however they were evacuating towards the sea. I never understand the Samoan way of thinking.
Thankfully the tsunami never hit here. My sister was giving me updates from the American news which is the only reason I knew that the waves hit Hawaii and Pago Pago. Since it didn’t make the news here, I am hoping it was not bad, and everyone was safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment