Pages

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Construction

Construction
When I arrived at my village a year ago I was told about one of the churches being banished. I never knew why, but I just accepted it, and enjoyed that they still got together to meet at their pastors house. They met in an open that was decorated beautifully. The ceiling was covered with amazing lavalavas of all different colors, quilted together in beautiful patterns.
Many months ago they began construction on a new church building. It has been an amazing to watch the process of this construction. The people of the church have been doing everything to build it, and are doing an amazing job.
A month ago I stepped inside the new building. People had brought in mats to cover the concrete floor which gave it some of its amazing coloring that I loved about the old “church”. There were giant opening where doors and windows might be one day, but otherwise it was one giant room. The ceiling had its beams and iron roofing.
I went back last week and was amazing with the progress already. There was electricity in the building, and a ceiling was put up, and was even being painted. It looked so great, and you can tell everyone was putting so much pride into their work.
Today, I passed by the church, and there is now stained glass up at the windows, loafer frames on the windows, and doors. It is great to see.
I might be impressed with the church since I know a little bit about construction, even though I only refinished a bare space. When Jen decided to buy a house in Colorado, she decided she needed to buy a place with a basement we could play with. We couldn’t have been luckier with where we ended up with our neighbors, and how amazing our house is. (Well, it really is hers….I just love being her tenant!)
Then, our cousin Tommy came to visit, and we decided we had read enough books about construction, that we could finish the project ourselves. We learned the art of framing, as we learned how much fun power tools really are. Friends came to help with plumbing and electrical, along with the other random spots we were working on. I became an insulation expert, as I did not let the itchiness bother me. (A step that isn’t needed in Samoa.) We then hung dry wall, taped, mudded, and I had to leave for Samoa, without the project completed.
Jen did not give up, and finished the project without me, as ended up with heated floor tiles in the bathroom, and fun flooring in the rest of the basement. We had little cubby holes that each had their own puck lighting. I heard stories about what it looked like for such a long time, that when I finally saw pictures, I was beyond amazed. I helped Jen to create something that looked amazing. She even did a great job with interior design at the end of the project.
Because of Jen’s basement, I know the pride that comes from a finished project like the church. I wasn’t there for the end result, but I know how many manual hours we spent working, and even more hours thinking up ideas on how to use the space to get the most out of it. I feel so good for them when I see all of their improvements each week.
(On a side note if you want to see the amazing basement in Colorado, I think Jen would love to have visitors! Of if you want to see the church being built here, you can come too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment