Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fa'alavelave with my mom

Fa’alavelave
My parents were having a great visit, we were experiencing Samoa culturally and touristy. We were having fun seeing everyone and visiting everywhere. They were enjoying life at my family’s house, enjoying village life and just having a great time.
One day we were getting ready for school, my mom and me wearing our new matching tasis. My mom walked out of the house. BOOM! She fell. Each night Champ, our loving dog, has been diving a hole next to the bushes, and my mom didn’t see it.
We helped my mom up and into the vehicle. We were off to the hospital. My mom’s ankle was swelling fast. My host dad went for a wheelchair for my mom and we waited for the nurses to show up. Being palagi, we had the advantage, and as soon as the nurses showed up we were the first ones seen. We went into the room and the nurse examined my mom’s ankle. She called the main hospital, which is located on the other side of the island and the doctor said she does not have to bother going to the main hospital and to just rest. After giving my mom a shot of painkillers, and paying our $20 tala fee, we were off.
A bed was moved to the front room, and I made sure my mom was as comfortable as possible before I headed to school. For two days she barely left that bed. We all felt so bad, and spent a lot of time comforting her there.
We contemplated going to the hospital for x-rays, but never thought it was worth the long drive. My mom thought it was broken, and my host parents thought it might be good for the traditional healer to come and massage it for her., He came, and he suggested popping it back into place. Scared (who could blame her), my mom said no.
On the last day of school she did her best to show up. With the help of others supporting her, especially my dad, she was able to come to the school to enjoy the festivities.
For their departure, my family was able to borrow a wheelchair from someone, and I accompanied them to Upolu. The whole family drove to the wharf to say goodbye. After the tearful goodbye, we boarded the Lady Samoa III. The wheelchair helped a lot because there was so much luggage to transport, it would be hard to help another person, by holding them up and carrying them as well.
The next morning, we awoke at 3 am, to get ready to leave, and shortly afterwards we were on our way to the airport. The people at the airport traded my borrowed wheelchair for an airport issued one. We said our goodbyes, and they went through security and were gone from Samoa.
I hopped in a cab to the wharf, and bought my ticket for the 6 am little boat. As soon as I bought my ticket, I was questioned by 6 people asking where my parents were. “Did they have a good time? Was I sad? Did I cry? Do I wish I was going back with them?”
Throughout the next few days the questions continued. It was nice to know how much everyone cared and wanted them to come back.
They told many people they would be back, and I know everyone in Savai’i hopes they will. I know everyone here, including myself, enjoyed their visit, despite their fa’alavelave.
On a side note I talked to my siblings today, three days after they left Samoa, to find out if my mom had finally made it back home. They had a long trip ahead of them, as they had to board 4 different planes. Mom had made it to the emergency room. Her ankle is dislocated, and had fractured her fibula, and possibly her tibia.
Even though they experienced a fa’alavelave during their trip to Samoa, I hope it did not ruin their trip here.
Feel better mom!

1 comment:

  1. Your Mother is a brave person, she is probably in a lot of pain now, so you should let her know how much you enjoyed her stay. (00)

    ReplyDelete