Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Forks are Overrated


Upolu


Upolu



Upolu


Upolu



Upolu, view from on top of Le Mafa Pass



Utensils
No matter how long I am here for, I still get a chuckle each time I sit down to eat, not knowing what will be on the table with me to eat with. The normal thing you are given is a spoon, an eating utensil that I usually leave out when setting the table at home.
Spoons are used for eating meat, salad, buttering bread, and many other foods.
I am given a fork sometimes, but it is usually when a fork is a little strange. Some of the times I get forks are for eating soup or ice cream.
Knives are usually nonexistent on the table, but sometimes can be seen to cut breadfruit when company is present, otherwise ripping open the food is the norm. They are used behind the scenes to open cans, butcher meat and slice bread. (Buying already sliced bread is not an option on Savai’i.)
I have gotten used to it over the past year, and feel that I can now use any eating utensil for any meal. I might look like a savage when I return home not knowing what to do with the choices that are given to me to eat my food with, but I will now never be the one complaining about getting the wrong silverware.

No comments:

Post a Comment