Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Trip to the Past is a Trip to the Future

A Trip to the Past is a Trip to the Future

I had planned on visiting my old school building weekly to check on the improvements of the building….but then the busyness of reality snuck in, and that normal half mile walk up and down hills became nonexistent.   “Tomorrow I will go,” I kept saying to myself, but after waking up for my exercise group at 4:30 in the morning, I became too exhausted after school. 

One of the year 8 students said she is mad we are getting a new school building.  When I asked why, she said it was because she would no longer be able to draw on the walls.  It is good to see that they realize graffiti will not happen in this new building, because by the last few days, somehow the students were writing on the walls and ceilings.  I am not a fan of markers everywhere.

 Today after track and field practice, I decided I finally had time to take the walk and visit the school. At a first glance, I did not notice anything different because they are building it on the exact same spot as before.  But in many places the wood was gone, and concrete blocks were in its place.  The window sills are put up, and it looks pretty good, in my opinion. 

They have not done anything with the ceiling, and in many places you can still see the children’s artwork on the walls.  It was beautiful how those little crayon drawing bring so much light into the construction site.

It is funny, how taking a trip to the past on how I started teaching here, makes me wonder about the differences this new school building will make on the children in the future. 

(Pictures are of a current classroom, and of the new school building)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment