Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

2 year olds play with machetes-why am I so fearful?

Grass grows, and sooner or later in needs to be cut. Lawnmowers are rarely used as people do not have the finances to afford them, so machetes are used as replacements. I love watching the cut the grass as they do it with such ease.
As I have mentioned before, I hate cutting the grass. I really do not know how to. The lawnmower we had was always too heavy, and the little ones made me scared I was going to lose a toe. Luckily I had an amazing neighbor who was willing to help me out with this dreadful chore.
At school, the men from the villages cut the malae (playing field) in front of the building, while the children cut the grass on the sides on the road leading to the school building. It is usually the children in the upper grades as the younger ones pulls weeds and do other little chores around the school building.
A few weeks ago on my run, I saw a two year old with the machete cutting the grass. I was shell shocked to see this. This two year old was doing an amazing job, much better than I know I could have done. He was fearless of the machete and I think it helped him.
I am still full of fear when doing things with a machete and I think it really hinders my ability to do things appropriately. I am just fearful of the knife slipping away and hitting someone.
Hopefully by the time I leave I will be fearless of the machete and offering to cut my neighbor Mike’s grass, instead of the other way around!

No comments:

Post a Comment