Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Independence Day Part IV


Independence Day was on a Sunday, which meant that people in America had the day off on Monday, and we felt as though we should be included in this as well. I had plenty of errands to run in town, and there was no time to do them earlier during the weekend.
I continued my tradition of eating chili cheese hot dogs for the weekend, and it was delicious!
We decided to stay for the hash run that evening and were glad that we made the right decision. The hare who set up the route, I think forgot to do it ahead of time, because as we were running up and down the hills of the Cross Island Road, I saw someone dropping the pieces of shredded paper all about the side of the road.
Training for the relay is really helping out and I am feeling as strong as ever. The hills did not bother me quite as much as they did a few weeks ago which made me happy.
In the spirit of Independence Day, I kept my flag flying high in the sky as I ran around in what felt like circles. Many people were laughing, but I felt proud to be an American.
The next morning, we headed back to reality. We awoke early, hopped in a cab at 4:45 to catch the first boat to Savai’i. (I had lost the key to my house over the long weekend, and I had a spare in our office. So I really needed to make sure I had time to make it there.)
I was tapped on the shoulder as soon as we boarded the boat. I ran in to Aussie Andy, a volunteer who is working on developing cricket in the villages. He was heading to Savaii to work with the youth in a few different villages.
He invited us to spend time with them on the boat, and since there were no free chairs, we were eager to take him up on his invitation. The back of the pickup was filled with bags of cricket equipment. I crawled in, found a little nook to lie in and took a nap. When I woke up, Andrew was laughing and told me I have become a true Samoan, able to sleep anywhere.
This leads me to the present where I am sitting in the office, watching the rain and wondering when my bus will show up to take me to work and home. Today is Tuesday, and the ferry runs a random route today, so I am clueless as to when the busses come, since the ferry might not arrive for hours.
Sooner or later, I will get home and be able to relax and enjoy my loveable Samoan family.

No comments:

Post a Comment