Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

All Banged Up

Cuts and Bruises
When I left for Samoa was I all in one piece? I really don’t remember back then. I cannot think back to a time where I was not covered in bruises, cuts and blisters all over my body, seriously.
It is not as though I am completely careless as other volunteers are covered as well, so I feel good knowing I am not alone with my infected cuts and random injuries that make you walk with a limp for sometimes weeks at a time.
This doesn’t stop us from participating in life. We still do everything as if we were all in one piece. You can find my fellow PCV siblings running around the seawall in Apia, trying to show off their amazing basketball skills at the different Morman churches, rocking the volleyball court in the villages, creating their own dance parties wherever we go (The busses really do play some of the best music of all times.) as well as much more.
I feel like as soon as one injury heels, another one (or ten) appears.
I remember in the movie Forest Gump, Lieutenant Dan tells Forest to take care of his feet since they are the most important thing to take care of.
I wish I was able to listen to that advice because it is so important, but being in Samoa laziness kicks in. (A fact that probably frustrates my amazing medical officer.) I know that I should take better care of myself by wearing shoes that are actually closed toes, but I find the heat of Samoa too strong for wearing both shoes and socks. Wearing cheap sandal constantly, leaves your feet open for disaster and I do not think there are enough band aids in the world to take care of all of the cuts on my feet.
Back in April I got a blister on my ankle which continued to explode over the last two months, and although since I arrived in Apia and back to civilization it has gotten better by my ability to finally take care of it, it still is not completely healed.
I have several other blisters coating my feet and it is amazing that I am still able to put sneakers on through the swelling-ness.
Is being cut up all the time part of the experience of living in a developing country? If it is. I still think it is worth all the scars. My body will heal, but the memories or Samoa I know will last with me forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment