Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Familiar Face


A familiar face
I’ve been putting it off. I wanted to get through the first full week of school without missing a moment of it. But by day 3 of the first week I had no voice, and going into the second week, it got worse. I was in pain, and every time I took a breath I felt miserable. I realized I had to stop putting it off when for two nights in a row I woke up choking. My throat was so swollen and my nose was so stuffed that I was having trouble breathing. I had to face the facts. I needed to see a doctor. (I probably wouldn’t go to one in America, because there is so much over the counter medicine available there, but here I do not even know where to find it.)
I waited until Thursday of the second week of school. It’s been raining on and off all day, and I was not looking forward to walking two villages over to the hospital in the rain. Thankfully, my host father was heading to a rehearsal, and was able to give me a ride there.
I’m at the hospital. I go to the line to check in. I am greeted by several people who already know me by name. It is so refreshing that when you are feeling ill in a foreign country to have people around you that truly care about your well being. A few women keep asking, “Mai ‘oe?” (Are you sick), and I keep responding, “Tina i le ua” (My throat hurts.)
I finally get to the front of the line, and no one is in the reception area. A few people keep coming in the area, asking what’s wrong, and then telling me that someone will come in shortly to check me in. After about ten minutes of standing there, someone finally came. I am now officially on file at my district hospital. (As well as the main hospital on this island, possibly the hospital in Apia, and one doctors office on both islands….wow I really need to stop getting sick!)
Surprisingly, a doctor was there at the office and quickly I was seen. I was surprised because when I first moved to Savai’i there was such a doctor shortage that they could not have one doctor leave the main hospital to travel to the different district hospitals. I told my symptoms, and within moments a tongue depressor was placed in my mouth. “Your tonsils are really inflamed,” I was told. I was given my prescription and went to the next room to have it filled.
The man who puts the pills in the little zip loc bags is so precise with his work. He is extremely careful to never touch anything with his gloved hand as he uses a little stick to count the numerous pills. I then paid a woman my fee, 8 tala fifty sene (equivalent to about $3.50 US)and left the office. I was surprised that I was not charged for the doctor, and only had to pay for my medications. Maybe that is how the local residents are treated.
When I got out of the room, instantly I was greeted by the same smiling faces. They told me to have a seat next to them. I should be used to this by now. Nothing can be a quick trip anywhere. You need to make sure you have plenty of time to do whatever little errand you are set forth for as there are too many people in the community that would love to have a quick chat with you.
I was questioned about my health, then about my pe’u (boyfriend) situation. I explained that I was dating the Manu Samoa 7’s (the ones that just won the World Series). They asked which ones and I responded “ All of them”. They laughed as they asked me their names. I love watching them play, but I honestly don’t know their names, so I told them, “Pe’u muamua, tama lona lua, tama lona tolu”, which means boyfriend number one, boy number two, third boy. It made them all laugh.
The rain began to slow down, and I was told I need to wait for it to stop. So I kept chatting with one of the parents of one of my students. She was explaining to me about her son going over to Germany for the US Army. We talked about America, and each of our families. The women that I had just met were impressed with my Samoan, which made me proud.
It makes me giggle thinking about a hospital being a social hall, but it really is. The hall was filled with women ready to strike up a conversation. It appeared like they had been there all day and were not ready to leave. I have been with my family to the hospital several times to pick up medicine, and there is always a crowd of women ready to strike up a conversation.
Finally the rain stopped, and after a full day of school, and countless conversations at the hospital I was ready to malolo (rest), I excused myself and walked home.
Part of the reason why Samoa is such a beautiful place is the people. I love how friendly everyone always is. It makes you feel like you are at home, even though I don’t think I could be farther than my family right now. My family here is so large. It is not just the people I live with, or the village I stay in, but the villages that surround me as well. I have so many people always looking out for me, I must be the luckiest person in the world with all the caring people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment