Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

Meeting Americans


Encountering Americans
After going through customs at the airport, I innediately found Kelley, a girl that I had met in Apia who had volunteered to put me up for a few nights. We hopped in the car and she took me around to meet various different people as well as her dog. One of the people she introduced me to is one of the most famous tattoo artists on the island. He is an amazing artist and seeing some of the designs he did of tap tap on others made me very impressed.
After our visits, we soon realized that one of the hubcaps was missing off the car, and so we began searching the small island for it. We headed back to the airport, travelled the roads, but there was no sign of it. It is hard to believe that something like that can go missing so quickly on such a small island.
We then headed with a group of Americans working on the island for a game of cricket and a barbeque. I learned that there are many Americans sent over there for certain government jobs and to be lawyers.
It was amazing hearing their experiences because although we may only like about 60 miles apart, our lives are completely different and run into different experiences.
I learned quickly on my first day that although American Samoa and Western Samoa both contain the name Samoa, they are still very different.

No comments:

Post a Comment