Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

A trip to America


American Samoa
I was not sure how the travel would be to American Samoa would be. I knew it was international and since I was flying to America I figured the safe bet would be to get to the airport two hours before the flight to be safest. I was also going to the smaller of the two international airports on this island, and it would be my first time there.
I splurged and took my cab to the airport. Went to the check in counter where they searched through all of my things, several times. I gave them my passport and was told I was not on the flight. WHAT?!? I then told them the time of my flight and they tried to insist on me paying extra to go on an earlier flight. I politely refused took my stuff over to a bench and acted Samoan. (Took a nap.)
When I awoke the airport was busy. There were about thirty people all about taking pictures of their loved ones and buying snacks at the falea’ola (store). It was T minus 45 minutes until the plane would take off, so they finally started checking people in. They began searching through bags again, and I finally got my boarding pass (a piece of paper that said 2A on it).
We were then directed to go through another round of security, I think because we were going to America. They security wand-ed us down, and then we went to the gate. In the gate area there were chairs and a duty free shop. It really surprised me to see a duty free shop, in such a little place. (All that was sold there was cigarettes and alcohol).
They open the door to the outside and the seven of us head over to the plane. Climb aboard the maybe 17 seater plane to begin our journey. There is no flight attendant, the aisles are about as wide as my shoe (my feet are not big by any standard of measurement) and we are wide open to the pilot so we can see their every movement.
I was sitting in the emergency exit row, and there was no debriefing on if I wanted the job of assisting others, as there was no security preview on how to buckle your seatbelt, or even a check to ensure it was done properly.
The plane drove to the end of the runway, turned around and we went full speed ahead off the short runway.
The flight was beautiful and relaxing as we soared off the coast of Upolu and over the Pacific. I could not stop staring out the window to take my guess on the creatures I was seeing swimming around the Pacific far below us.
From what everyone had told me about the flight, I was expecting one of those jerky flights similar to those from Denver to Laramie where mountains are constantly being in the way, however, this was not the case at all. It was as smooth as can be and a great way to start off a great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment