Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Training for the future


Training for the future
After completing my first race, I am hooked.
During the race I remember thinking, why am I doing this? I am not a runner so why am I trying to turn my body into something it isn’t. I think that is why I began to give up towards the end and keep going with a walk run, instead of my constant jog. When I arrived at the finish line I still had plenty of energy left, which made me regret not taking the race more seriously.
Now that I have a better understanding of my capabilities with my sneakers I am ready for the next race to see how far I can challenge myself. The next one will be about 64 miles of a relay race around the island of Upolu in August. It is broken down so we do not run it all at once which makes me feel as though it is completely doable.
This week we discussed our plans and I think we are trying to have two teams, a boys and a girls team and it sounds like many people are interested in joining our teams, which means that we might have to have time trials to make it.
Now that I have my goal, I am going to really push myself to wake up in the dark to go for short runs in the dark. (Carrying rocks to defend myself against whatever creatures may try to attack before the sun rises.)
In a few months you will be hearing about how beautiful an island Upolu is to run around because I will do better training and make the Peace Corps relay team.

No comments:

Post a Comment