Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

How do I Get Mail?

Mail Call
Elisa is my nearest neighbor. We are about 5 villages away from each other. It is about 20 minutes by bike, or about fifteen minutes by bus. We see each other often because of this as visiting is a good excuse to get some exercise. However recently we have both been so caught up in village life that the trip has felt near impossible.
We have had to pass things back and forth to each other, and so we have started using the village ways to pass items back and forth. The bus.
I love the bus. It is so colorful and dull of such interesting things. Busses are always stopping to pick up packages from one village and transporting them to another village. The packages have always sparked an interest. I always wonder what is so important to bring back and forth.
I am now part of that club. Two times now the bus has stopped for me to gibe little bags to be delivered to Elisa, and once I have received something as well.
I feel more Samoan doing this. I am now part of their social scheme. I understand that I do not need to jump on a bus and travel to different distances to deliver different items.
The bus drivers and the men in charge of packages are always so amazing about it, like they see you on the side of the road, and know exactly what you need.
The bus. It is so practical.

No comments:

Post a Comment