Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Power Outage....Water Outage


Outage
The water is out, the power is out. It seems like it is happening more and more lately. It feels like they have been coming in pairs lately. They do shut off the piped water during some point of every day, and I have been fortunate enough that it has only lasted several hours at a time. In a week the electricity has gone out twice.
My parents sent me a wind up flashlight, but being technology retarded (flashlights are still called technology right?) My flashlight doesn’t work as it is supposed to and will only turn on when you are currently cranking it.
It is funny how all of my Peace Corps siblings are like me, just accepting these factors as life. Today I got a text message from someone at 6:30. It said the power was out in her village, and since it was raining a lot she did not want to go to the store for candles, so she would be getting plenty of sleep tonight.
A few days ago, I go into the bathroom to take a shower for church, and the water was out. I did not worry as I usually use the bucket of water and a bowl to bathe anyway. However, I looked inside the bucket, and there was something growing in it. Showering could wait.
I feel like I would be an expert at camping in the wilderness after living in my village. I can go without water and electricity for plenty of time.
I do love it when I do have water and power, but acceptance is key. The water will not always be flowing, and the power will randomly be off. Life will still go on as I know it, and a week later I will forget the hardships of that one night (or 3…)

No comments:

Post a Comment