Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Who is the sidekick really?





I am Batman….or am I Robin?
Rachel is my partner in crime. Seriously, we are together too much, especially when we are in Apia. We roomed together during training, hung out together, and even cooked our meals together. We are together so much that people question us when they see us apart. We are partners in crime. One of us is the superhero, and the other is the sidekick. I’d like to pretend I’m the Batman of our friendship, just because I secretly want a super cool car to drive. (I would love it if my bus was tricked out like the Batmobile. It would be so intense! By the way did you hear about the fire at the circus…it was in tents! Ha ha!)
I never realized that we were together that much until I started reading another Peace Corps volunteer blog. Every time he mentioned one of us, he mentioned the both of us. It was as if we are a packaged deal.
I would just like to clarify that we really aren’t together all the time. Even though we both reside on the same island, weeks do go by when we do not see each other at all. When we are in our village we are committed to life there, and as awesome as it is to have a sidekick to hang out with, we know that village life runs supreme.
While we were in training in Apia, Rachel and I met the Manu Rugby team and immediately befriended all of them that we met. We hung out with them several times, making us feel as though we really knew the boys. When it was time for us to head back to our villages, we were upset knowing that we would not be able to return to see our favorite rugby players take on Tonga in the Pacific Rugby Tournament the following weekend.
Rachel and I looked around our village for televisions to make sure that we could watch the game and cheer on Manu Samoa….we found the televisions….and the clock kept ticking by. We weren’t sure when the game was to start, but all the times that people told us had gone and passed. There was no game. Had we gotten the time wrong? In my village the radio signal is very weak and the two radios I possess do not have the signal strength to pick up any reception.
Since it was a Saturday, I gave up and went with my family to church. After church, I realized the game had to be done. There was no way that they would open the tournament on a Saturday night. I began texting like crazy. I had to know how they did.
I had rugby fever. After Manu Samoa 7’s won the World Series (I think that is what they called it), I have become obsessed with rugby. It is the most impressing game ever. I just wish I understood the rules….
Finally a text back. Blakey had gone to the game. She reported the good news…
Samoa had beaten Tonga 24 – 23.
I knew I could count on Blakey to know about it because Blakey has had the fever reigning in her veins since I first met her.
Over six hours after the game, they are finally televising it. Even though I know the outcome, it is still nice to see the friendly faces that me and Rachel met in Apia over the past few weeks. I hope I am able to sneak over to watch a game during some part of the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment