Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Back to School







Back to School
I felt like I had the best first day back to school. My expectations were probably too low on the day, but I was able to march through the day easier than I had during most days last term. I did not have the chance to plan with my collogues, so they allowed me to come into the classroom and teach their children new songs and dances.
In one day I was able to visit 7 out of the 8 grades and I was really proud of this fact. I was able to spend a full half hour with both years 1 and 2 (the teachers were both absent) at the same time, without blowing my mind. (Sixty little ones who speak little English is a task that used to be hard for me to imagine being in a room by myself.)
Even during internal time, I really enjoyed my time that I spent with the kids. Over vacation I had spoken very minimal Samoan, so I was scared that my language ability would diminish. In fact, I feel the opposite has happened. I am able to understand far more than I thought was possible.
As another plus, my students were doing amazing in their English speaking abilities.
My hopes are high for the start of this school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment