Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Running in Style







My first race
I was never a runner. I never saw the purpose of running anywhere. I always thought the only reason people run, is in case they wanted to steal stuff they could run from the leoleo (police).
However, when I arrived in Samoa, my new PC family members had a few runners among themselves, so I began training with them in the morning. During our two months of training, we woke up extremely early and enjoyed running on Apia’s amazing seawall, or up in the hills of our training village. I realized that running might not be that bad.
We heard about the 10 k that was coming up for Independence Day and decided to sign up for it.. We tried training for it, but because of my massive blisters from running in my village (and me not taking proper care of them) I had trouble running with shoes on for over a month.
The week of the race, Rachel and I decided it was time to train. We decided that training should consist of finding outfits that made us look like we were fast. We found fast colors of an e’I (running in skirts is amazing) and decorated a t-shirt. I only ended up putting up a few mile long runs for training.
The day of the race we were pumped, ready, and looking good.
The sun had yet to rise and we were prepared for whatever the day had in store for us.
It is not a big city race like in other places around the world, so we had to compete with the traffic, boys yelling to hit on us, and cab drivers offering us a ride to the finish line.
I did the first half of the race running as best I could, but by the second half my energy was spent. So when I saw the signs that said “Alu Lemu” (Go slow-meant for the cars) and “Speed Kills” I decided I would listen.
Even with my breaks I finished my first race in 6th place. I was so proud of myself and next year, hopefully with real training I will make it in the top 5.
All of us volunteers met in the office afterwards and had an amazing breakfast by cooking a few dozen eggs and then relaxing in the office.
The race was hard, and I had my doubt about entering it, but I am thrilled I went through with it.
On a side note I was told our fast outfits we made, did make us the best dressed of the crew. A few people made sure to come up to us to tell us!

No comments:

Post a Comment