Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Internet


Internet
Being in Apia, I became used to internet. I bought an internet card and had internet on demand (as long as I didn’t go over the hours I paid for). I became used to checking my e-mail regularly and the high speed access that allowed me to put up blogs with ease, and include pictures.
Then I came home.
I had a little attachment for a SIM card to use dial up internet (by paying for the megabyte) in my village. It worked well. It was slow, and if I really monitored how little I was on the internet (basically only checking e-mail and updating my blog) the cost wasn’t too bad. But while I was away, I don’t know if my thing began to miss me, but the SIM card no longer works.
I am out of money on it. I cannot send money to it, so therefore I cannot use it.
No internet.
There has been so much going on in my village, and I really want to share it, but it must wait.
I keep planning on calling the company to see if I can get this problem resolved, but I feel like I have become Samoan in my ways in just putting it off as much as possible.
It has been a week since I learned of it not working. Maybe I’ll call tomorrow. Or maybe I’ll keep with the same philosophy of thinking about calling.
Internet is a necessity of life it seems in America. So much goes on there, and it seems like you need to be in the loop all time. Although I never really participated in the whole paying for internet in your home, I did enjoy my neighbors internet as well as going to the different restaurants to check my email on my IPod.
I honestly don’t know what I used to do on the internet anymore. I don’t know how people can spend hours online without getting bored. What websites do people go to? I know four right now: Facebook, Blogger, Gmail and Yahoo Mail.
What else is there to do online? I know there are websites I probably should go to so I can check up on the news. But when I am checking on it so infrequently, I get so confused by the stories as I don’t usually hear the beginning of them. I am out of the loop.
I do know some of the bigger news stories happening in America. It is funny because I sometimes hear them sooner than my family in America does. Thank you TV1 News in New Zealand. Several times a week I get updates on little things in America. (We tied England in the first game of the World Cup, the Celtics and ahead in the NBA Finals (Yeah! Lakers are going down!), there is flash flooding, and of course the oil spill.)
It is going to be hard to catch up to the speed of the American life in a year and a half, as it already feels overwhelming and I am not even there yet. Until then, maybe I’ll have internet some days, some days I won’t. There is nothing wrong living in a slower pace of life for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment