Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Mc Donalds-An Expensive Treat or Plain Old Fast Food


McDonalds

Apparently a lot of the Peace Corps Volunteers have been jumping on the “I love McDonalds” campaign. A bandwagon which I plan to never jump on. (Seriously.) Around Apia I keep seeing the McDonalds take out bags floating about, and people telling stories of ordering a quarter pounder without cheese (Apparently it is impossible, they always want to give you a double with cheese.) and just sharing how much they crave that taste of home.

Some of my friends who had vowed never to eat McDonalds have caved in and began eating it weekly while staying in Apia. I hope they don’t get me to convert and go back on my plan of not eating McDonalds.

The McDonalds here is not a cheap easy option to a meal. First off it is expensive. One of my Samoan friends had mentioned to me if your boyfriend takes you to a McDonalds, it means you guys are soon to get married. (I then asked her if her American boyfriend took her there, she laughed and said he has the same American views I do on McDonalds.)

Another problem with the McDonalds here is that they run out of the items on the menu constantly. I am told that when they run out of they golden delicious fries, they just go to the local shop and buy fries to replace them. Another day they were out of the smoothies, and I have heard plenty of stories about them running out of beef.

Yesterday Matt, Rachel and I were strolling on the seawall and Matt was telling us about his craving for McDonalds growing. He then made the bold statement that nothing beats a McDonalds breakfast. This made Rachel and I stop in our tracks. There are a million things better than a McDonalds breakfast, and we start naming each one of them for about half an hour. (A dangerous game since you know you will not have any of these delicious treats for a long time.)

Granted Matt has been in this country for a year longer than us, but I do not think he came into Samoa thinking that McDonalds breakfasts are the best. I hope next year I don’t begin arguing with a newbie from group 83 over McDonalds being the best.

Everyone around the country considers McDonalds a treat. It is an expensive restaurant, and everyone considers it so. I guess with being here only 8 months, it hasn’t warped my views of what fast food really is, and what a nice restaurant is yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment