Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Taste of Home

Taste of Home
After travelling around Apia and Tutuila for the past few weeks, I finally recieved a taste of home. It is funny how what I consider home. I used to think of home as being in New York, Colorado, or even Wyoming...But now I have this deep craving for my little (although it is really big) island of Savai'i.
The past few morning we have been going for runs around Apia, and it was real refreshing to see someone with their mosquito nets up, taking naps in their fale. I crave seeing this as it is a piece of my home, Savai'i.
This mornnig on the bus, it was refreshing to see the bus driver help load a bus full of packages onto the bus, as well as more people than a NYC bus driver would know what to do with. Rachel and I immediately got into the spirit but lapsitting, and dancing to the amazing Samoan music blasting from the radio.
We hopped onto the ferry with the hundreds of other Samoans and took a nap right on the deck of the va'a despite the drizzle. On the boat several people came up to us that knew us and it made us really feel as though we belong here. It is our home as people come up to us speaking in a language that I understand offering giant hugs and kisses in the process.
When we got to Salelologa, we both breathed in a sigh of relief as we knew that tonight we would finally be sleeping in our own mosquito nets, watching our families cook on the fire and just embrasing the amazing culture of Samoa.
Savai'i is my home. It has a different feel that Upolu and I love the sense of pride I feel when I meet others that feel the same way about my home.
After a long vacation it is good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment