Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

A Happy Day at Church




Church
I have never been a religious person. Before coming to Samoa, I have been to church or synagogue probably a few dozen times in my life. I never really saw the need to go.
I don’t know if I am a changed person or what, but I love going now.
It is not for the religious aspect, but the sense of community is amazing. It is a place to catch up on village life and gossip. It is a place to see your friends and family members. A person really gets the sense of belongingness to their community by attending church. It is also a great venue for language practice for me. I go there prepared, ready to learn something new. It usually isn’t the lessons they teach, but I do feel as though I am growing as an individual.
I wasn’t this way in the beginning. When I first arrived in Samoa, I dreaded the three hour services as I felt the dragged on too long. I thought that if I pretended to be sick and just laid in bed, it would be a better time to spend my Sunday.
I have learned that three hours isn’t that long in the scheme of life. And honestly, what else would I be doing on a Saturday or Sunday. Sundays are dead days in the village. You can’t really do much as there are village rules that ban you from doing much aside from eating, sleeping, and going to church. Living with a Seventh Day Adventist family, it is the same on Saturday.
So twice on Saturdays, and once on Sunday (I am trying to coax myself into going to a second service on Sundays, but haven’t found the will to go yet.) you will find me at the different church services. Afterwards, I feel like I have the biggest family in the world. Besides my family in America caring about me in every way, everyone in the village shares the same love for me. (Not to sound…what’s the word. Not conceded…but well you get the idea.) I have families coming up to me asking if I will join them in their home for their feast after church.
I love going to to’ogani (the feast after church) with different families. It is so nice to eat like it’s Thanksgiving (without the turkey) every week and then spend the afternoon with a family relaxing, chit chatting, and sometimes helping with little things, especially English homework.
I really missed being at church while I was on vacation for the few weeks and I feel like the people in my village really missed me too. During church service on both Saturday and Sunday, I was welcomed back by all the members of the church, and they even made a special announcement to welcome me back. It is so heartwarming to be a part of this.
I really honestly can’t be certain if people in America feel the same way about going to church, synagogue, or any other place of worship, but it is definitely a reason to go to feel that warm sense of extended family loving you and looking out for your every needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment