Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Leaving Tutuila




Leaving Tutuila
After hiking the National Park, I went for another walk to explore Pago Pago. I saw the tuna cannery (Starkist), the market, the Governor’s house (It is an amazing white building.) and finally had to hop on one of the last busses home.
I had only been on Tutuila for a few days, so I really did not know where I was heading, and apparently missed my stop by about two miles. So I forced myself to do another self hike. (Instead of paying an absurd $5 US to take a cab.) A family saw me, and wanted to make sure I was okay, so they joined me on the walk back to Coconut Point.
The next morning I enjoyed a nice relaxing morning acting as American as possible. I watched cable television, relaxed on a comfortable couch, caught up on the internet, and read a good book.
I was packed up, ready to go, then suddenly….the rain came. I was beginning to really wish I had a telephone so I could call for a cab, because the long walk to the bus stop was not exciting me at all.
But since I am in such a nice place such as Samoa, I had people instantaneously pick me up and offer me a ride, which gave me entirely too much time at the airport.
I arrived at the airport two hours before my flight, and of course could not check in for my international flight until it was about 45 minutes before my flight. It was the easier time ever going through customs, or security ever.
After my half hour flight, it felt nice to finally be home in Western Samoa. I loved my brief trip back to America, but I was thrilled that I was back to the land where things were much more familiar to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment